RE: RE: Work Attire

Subject: RE: RE: Work Attire
From: "Nancy Kaminski" <nancy -dot- kaminski -at- spanlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:57:47 -0500

This brings to mind when I was an earnest youngster in business suit,
silk bow tie, and pumps, working in an insurance brokerage firm in a
downtown building (1979). We had a very strict dress code (men couldn't
even wear sports coats---only suits, and three-piece suits were
preferred, the more pin-stripey, the better). We were on the 15th floor
of the building, and as I rode the elevator up every day I played a
game: guess where my fellow elevator-riders worked, based on their
dress.

I found it ridiculously easy---the insurance company claims processing
department employees wore casual attire and looked sloppy. The lawyers
were even more conservative than my brokerage, but were marginally
better dressed than the accountants. The ad agency people were sharp
dressers in the absolute latest, most daring and artsy business attire.
And so on. I could look at someone and think, "Yup, she's getting off on
11" and sure enough, she'd get off at the ad agency's floor.

Fun game, but I doubt I'd be able to do it any more. People just don't
wear their uniforms like they used to!

Nancy Kaminski
nancykam -at- attbi -dot- com

> From: Jeff Hanvey [mailto:jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk]

> I work in the banking/financial industry (creating software
> for community
> banks), but we don't directly deal with the industry itself.
> Every now and
> then, potential client come in to visit our site (we also do item
> processing).
>
> Our atmosphere is professional, but casual. People wear a
> wide range of
> clothing, from dumpy old clothes to extremely professional...

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com