OT: Latest WOW [wireless tech]

Subject: OT: Latest WOW [wireless tech]
From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy -at- optushome -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 21:09:45 +1000

[Xpost several mailing lists where he is still NoMail but subscribed]

For the first time in my life I have a mouse that has lasted a year. Why?
It's cordless, so the cord cannot pull out due to tensile stress as have
done most my others :-(

And like I really care about someone eavesdropping on my mouse movements, or
even my keying if I had a cordless keyboard as well. Hell, most of my emails
are sent to multiple recipients or the general public anyway. So for SOHO
use, as Woody ranter was describing, it rocks. Mind you, it's a Logitech,
maybe Woody flourishes on MS products <shrugs>.

I see wireless tech as a great saviour. For example, for me to dyno tune a
car on the run, I have to run a cable from the car's computer to my laptop
in the driver seat. My watch could interface with my car's clock and my
computer, each being set with a diminishing priority so that accurate time
propogates (my computer weekly synchs to atomic clocks, daily there is no
point - the drift is non-existant most often).

Then we'll get to the point where newborns are snipped and chipped. You'll
pay for your bus ticket by simply walking onto the bus which reads your id,
debits your bank account to a cap equivalent to a weekly ticket.

Shopping will be a dream for the girls. Pick the item you like, put it in
your bag and walk out. Scanners will read the item and your id as you walk
straight out the express lane. Of course, just to keep alive the heresy in
our times, it's just an extension of the old number of the beast problem as
the population _has_ increased to that point.

Audits will be a breeze, and we will print smart circuits on small office
products to attach to documents with their vital stats. Need the goss on
flimbotzing the whatsmejigger? Sure, ask your watch to find it for you, just
follow the friggin arrow. Need to find a pub? Triangulate off any local rf
sources that are dynamically mapped by the moving population daily even if
GPS isnt available in the unnatural canyons we build.

Documentation can come embedded and accessible in the firmware. Video
telephony will automatically use the nearest cameras, tracking you as you
walk. Signatures will be electronically embedded in paper using keys.

The wetwear usage is astronomical. Medical histories carried around inside
ya! Your superior replacement parts can have their software upgraded by
merely walking into the doctor's office, you will be charged automatically
of course and any medical funds will immediately pay their part.

Enough, I have a war to conduct :-)

Steve Hudson

Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
Tricky stuff with Word or words for you.
Email: word_heretic -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot- au
Products: http://www.geocities.com/word_heretic/products.html
Spellbooks: 735 pages of dump left and dropping...

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com