Cross-language "same content on same page" issues? (take II)

Subject: Cross-language "same content on same page" issues? (take II)
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:33:06 -0400

Jan Henning, responding to my suggestion that "If you set the English in
(say) 12 pt type, then setting in 10 pt type for another language lets you
fit 20% more text on a page", observed: <<This is inaccurate if you also
adjust the line spacing (as you should
do). In that case, you can fit about 44% more on the page when you change
from 12pt to 10pt. In other words, changing the text size from 12pt to 11pt
may be enough to fit 20% more text on the page.>>

Of course it's inaccurate, and of course you must balance leading with type
size (as I noted in my reply). I threw out numbers to simplify the
calculation and show the magnitude of the savings, not to propose that any
of these numbers should actually be used for planning purposes. I repeat my
original caveat concerning these numbers: "with numbers thrown in the same
way Jackson Pollock throws paint", which is to say with wild abandon,
considerable artifice, and results that won't satisfy everyone.

To reiterate: My goal in presenting those numbers was solely to encourage
readers to experiment by showing them what kinds of payback they can get
from experimenting.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"For what I have published, I can only hope to be pardoned; but for what I
have burned, I deserve to be praised."--Alexander Pope

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com