RE: (no subject)

Subject: RE: (no subject)
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:52:01 -0400

Nathaniel Poole wrote

> I'm thinking of getting into the field of technical writing
> I've read a lot of hype, but what is the real, on the ground experience
> of those currently working in the field?

I posted an extensive screed on this topic back in may, so I'll refer you to
the archives:

http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/0305/techwhirl-0305-00791.html

The gist of my argument is this: The microprocessor created a temporary
bubble in demand for technical writers because it put so many immature
technologies in front of a public who had no previous experience or social
support to guide their learning of them. Lots of ordinary consumers and
office workers suddenly had strange new toys that needed documenting. This
phase of the microprocessor revolution is largely over and we are returning
to normal levels of demand for technical writers.

This means two things:

1. There is a glut of experienced technical writers left over from the boom
who have not yet worked their way out of the system.

2. The demand for technical writers without specific technology
knowledge/skills has largely evaporated. For those positions that remain in
this category, salaries would seem to be collapsing.

If you have strong specific interest in technology and a love for explaining
things, this can still be a rewarding field. But it is not the easy ticket
to the high tech gravy train that it used to be, and it never will be again,
even when the economy picks up. The naive and isolated user of new and
immature technology is no more. With his passing goes the field of
home/office technical communication. This is now an industrial occupation
again, just as it used to be.
---
Mark Baker
Senior Technical Writer
Stilo Corporation
1900 City Park Drive, Suite 504 , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1J 1A3
Phone: 613-745-4242, Fax: 613-745-5560
Email mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com
Web: http://www.stilo.com

This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying, or
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message and any attachments.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com