Re: Techwr-l Web interface - am I the only one using it?

Subject: Re: Techwr-l Web interface - am I the only one using it?
From: "Janice Gelb" <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:02:15 -0600

> I'm always surprised when I read people complaining about OT posts
> flooding their mailboxes. I stopped receiving Techwr-l posts via e-mail a
> few years ago,
[snip]

I also read through the web rather than receiving
posts by email, but I don't buy that as a reason
to accept numerous OT posts any more than I buy
the other oft-cited rationale that "you can always
delete them." I think that lists (and newsgroups
and Yahoogroups and all similar groups) are most
enjoyable/useful when they stick to the area that
matches the reason that most people joined the
list or group. The more OT posts we see, the less
likely we are to want to slog through those to get
to the real topics, whether through mail or through
the web.

> Instead I use the Web interface Eric and Deb provide at:
>
> http://lists.raycomm.com/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=techwr-l
>
> For anybody with browser access, I can't imagine a better setup. It keeps
> my Inbox from overflowing, and offers a high degree of control in viewing
> and responding to posts.

I actually find the web interface a bit cumbersome to
use to read messages so I use a two-pronged approach:
I read the list through the archive at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/, which is updated
regularly just like the web interface, doesn't require you to
log in, and has threading I like better. If I see a message
to which I want to respond, then I log into the web interface.

-- Janice

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com