RE: Bubble Your Pleasure, Bubble Your Fun

Subject: RE: Bubble Your Pleasure, Bubble Your Fun
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 11:16:18 -0400

Robert,

This presumes that consumer products are actually getting simpler for
consumers to use... I for one don't buy that. I've watched people (myself
included) struggle to program their telephones, their VCRs, assemble
furntiure and grills and so on, and not only is the documentation inadequate
in most cases, the design of the product is inadequate. Add to that sheer
information overload on every level, and it's a morass of what the field
should be doing vs. what it is doing.

Back at the beginning of the year, CBS Sunday Morning did a report on the
hot new career of technical writing... Which in essence said that because
the things people use every day were becoming more complicated, this was
going to be a booming field. I'm not sure I buy the booming field concept
either, but I've seen several of these stories on the internet and in the
news. Which might help explain the number of Motel Boys we tend to
encounter!

I go back to the premise that it's not about how many pages of documentation
it should take, it's about designing a product, any product, that people can
use in the way they want to use it.

MTC

Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause I'm afraid
that we've been cheated here on Earth" - Clint Black "Galaxy Song"