RE: writer needs a pep talk

Subject: RE: writer needs a pep talk
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:41:49 -0700 (PDT)

Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:
> This is an easy one. It is what readme notes are for.
>
> Tell your manager that you will make changes to keep up
> with the docs to N date. After that, the manual will not
> change as you get it ready for release - indexing, QA, etc.
> Any changes to the product after that time will be noted in
> a Readme or an errata or what ever you want to call it that
> goes out with the product.

Agreed.

Here's the often unspoken corollary to accepting responsibility: If you
accept 100% responsibility for the document, you must also assume 100%
authority.

Therefore if you think it is necessary, you have a perfect right to
declare a freeze on new content at a time determined by you.

Anyone who pulls rank to block or break your authority is assuming part
of the responsibility.

Of course, this isn't a copout. We are still obliged to work our butts
off to get as much info in the manual as possible and out of the readme
notes. Part of "Work harder" means sometimes we have to compensate for
other people's failures, and do it without complaining.

Mike O.

http://calendar.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com