Re: Techwriting after the boom

Subject: Re: Techwriting after the boom
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 20:32:09 -0700

Not being a history buff, I can only speak from my own experience.
Back in the 1970's and early 80's I was an engineer, and frequently
wrote specifications, test plans, procedures, reports and field manuals.
I prepared my drafts with a pad and pencil, then passed them on to
Technical Publications. What came back was pretty much what I sent
in, with grammar, spelling and punctuation corrected and the whole
thing set into type and combined with the illustrations I had prepared
on my drawing board. But as far as organization, technical content and
about 99% of the text was concerned, *I* wrote it. If the technical writer
thought that he had a better idea about how to phrase something, he
came to me and got my approval before making any changes to any
of my text, and I mean *any* changes, right down to individual words.
Your list of "communications experts" is exactly right, in that the word
"writer" is not among the job titles. I was the expert in the subject, and
consequently, *I* was the writer. Nobody in Technical Publications
groups of that era would even think of changing anything in my draft
without my approval, because their job was not to write anything, but to
*publish* what I as the "subject matter expert" wrote. Writing was an
integral and very *formal* part of my job description as an engineer.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 12:05 PM 6/8/2003 +1000, Michael West wrote:

To relate all this to the original topic in thread, any time
there was a requirement for publishing technical information
for general use, there were two considerations: first, the
written material must be accurate and useful; second, it must
be edited and published to a professional standard. It was taken
for granted that the "subject matter expert" (that is, the explorer
or engineer) was not able, without the help of "communications
experts" (editors, publishers, designers, annotators, indexers,
scholars) to prepare the material for publication.

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com