RE: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)

Subject: RE: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:36:43 -0400

Eric wrote:

> There are countless other valid view points. But how many liberal arts
> teachers/programs are educating students on how to express their
> view points?

I guess I was lucky. That's exactly what my literature courses taught me.
Our teachers/professors taught us to analyze literature, look at the
subtext, including the biographical information about the author, and to
develop and express our own thoughts and opinions about the material.

Some of my literature courses were invaluable in teaching me to write
concisely, back up my opinion with material from the literature, and to
think critically about the literature and the possible meanings it conveys,
not just to me, but to others.

Yes, I was fortunate to attend a university with an excellent English
department and first-rate teachers. I'm very happy that I did. I'm also
pleased that I received an excellent liberal arts education that taught me
to think, to be open-minded, to remember that there is a historical
perspective to all things (mathematics, literature, art, science).

The skill of learning to think and to express myself that I learned from my
liberal arts background has served me well in all my professions, and I'm
very glad and thankful that I had such a wonderful opportunity.

We all learn in different ways and from different sources. Let's all
remember that and appreciate our differences (in experience and personality)
rather than make blanket statements about what's best for others.

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.
www.fpoint.com

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com