Re: [stc_uk_discuss] Cold calling

Subject: Re: [stc_uk_discuss] Cold calling
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:08:06 +0100

Damien,

You've just admitted that you have a databse of potential employers.

Pick up the phone now. You may not be ready to service your first clients, and they aren't ready to buy from you either, but there's no harm in starting the relationship now. Your sales cycle WILL be about six months. Prepare a script first, defining exactly what you are offering and how it differs from competitiors, or can advantage these potential clients.

This script can also define the contents of your followup letter, but don't write before establishing that there is potential and interest, and always to a specific name, never a job title.

Also try to find out what the other companies are charging, so that you represent a significant saving over your competitiors, who may have large overheads to service, but not so cheap as to appear to be of lower quality.

Your competitors may also bo offering one-stop shop facilities, so go out and make friends with some/a couple of good photographers, graphic designers, Web techies and printers. Offer them all the 'you scratch my back,...' proposition. Even printers sometimes have customers that ask if they can write a brochure for them (no, seriously!). Once you've made friends, get the GD to rework your Web site and get the Techie to set it up, giving them both credit as due. If you can't afford a brochure, your Web site has to work as one instead.

Put all your contacts onto a database so that you can track calls and book call backs.

I'm sure I've left some out, but these are a few of the basics.

Good luck,
Ant

Damien Braniff wrote:

I was made redundant at the end of February I'm just about ready to start up on my own and I'm after any advice from the more experienced freelancers out there.

Here in N Ireland I've found only two companies that provide TW services
and, talking to local companies, there seems to be (at least potential)
market. I recently completed my MA and part of that involved surveying local companies and this indicated quite a few companies who may be interested in TW services (one of the Q I asked was 'did they think their documentation could be improved by being professionally written/edited'). So far I've done the following:

1 Checked local adverts for companies hiring (engineers/programmers etc) to identify potential customers.

2 Working on web site to advertise services - also plan to sign on to local register (new, therefore still cheap)

3 Designed some fliers highlighting skills/services to send to companies identified in (1)

Anything else obvious I'm missing - bound to be something :-)

The companies identified from my survey I intend to call (I have contact
names of those involved in documentation) and I'm OK with that. What I'd
like advice on is the format of the cover letter when 'cold
calling/writing' - is there any particular format that you've found to be particularly effective?

TIA

Damien Braniff

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com