Re: Learn a new language

Subject: Re: Learn a new language
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:32:53 +0100

While running the PR for the EMEA section of a US multinational, I found myself in the Netherlands on regular basis. Now the Dutch, like the Finns, know that nobody is going to learn their language, so they virtually all speak very good English (it's compulsory in High School to age 16). However, I bothered to learn enough to say 'good morning' and order food and drink, and, because of the technical nature of the subject, some of the technical words that one wouldn't expect a foreigner to know in English. I'd like to think it's because I'm great at relationship building that everybody took to me, but I'm sure knowing a few words helped. But then, did I bother to learn because I like being good at relationships? Probably. I'm sure it helped the overall relationship with the SMEs I was working with.

I already speak fluent French, but didn't get on with Spanish at high school because of its similarity (I got the two confused too often), however, since my last (social) visit to NYC I see that I am going to have to improve this language as well, just to get around the city!

Regards,
Ant

John Posada wrote:

My question...has anyone ever made the effort to learn even a rudimentary
level of language used by your peers and if so, what was the effect on them toward you?
Just wondering if it helped improve the overall communication situation?

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com