Re: Single Most Valuable Course for Tech Writing

Subject: Re: Single Most Valuable Course for Tech Writing
From: "Deb M." <dm -at- ptrail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:36:20 -0400

------ Robert Plamondon wrote:

"So I'll ask the group: What single course proved to
be most useful in your technical writing work? For me,
it was a course in Technical Illustration,which gave
me a lot of skills I never would have picked up any
other way."

------

For me, it was Journalism with Sister Pat. She often said, "Write about
something you know about." I see now it was not a coincidence that she would
assign us topics we knew nothing about. She also often said, "Writing is
rewriting." Learning the cycle of ramp-up, write(write(write)), deliver has
helped me immeasurably (for the kinds of gigs I've had).

For me, Calculus was useful because of the teacher that constantly harped,
"Math is not a spectator sport." It turns out that neither is Tech Writing.

Cheers,
Debbie
The Paper Trail
Technical Documentation
http://www.ptrail.com

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com