RE: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)

Subject: RE: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:26:19 -0400

Kat Nagel (lists only) [mailto:mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com]
[...]
> <nod, nod>
> The second semester of my high-school calculus course emphasized
> problem analysis and the choice of the proper tool for solving each
> problem. That has as useful as the best of the English courses I've
> taken---also a high-school course. None of the college English or
> math courses were anywhere near as useful.
[...]

Now I'm wondering: was it the years that I was in school, or was
it the backwoods locale? In New Brunswick in the early '70s,
highschool went to grade 12, and we didn't get calculus.

I took it in college. Struggled with first-year physics that was
taught on the basis of calculus that we'd learn in first-year
math several weeks later. My impression is that the 1971
timeframe might have represented a changeover from into-to-calculus
as a secondary-school subject, versus a college/university subject.

??

What is the experience of others who were in highschool before
the 1970s? Did y'all get calculus if you weren't in an advanced
stream for budding geniuses?

This also makes me wonder if we're all talking about the same
thing when we refer to "reading level". Has THAT migrated
(upward or downward) over the years?

/kevin

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com