Re: Re: Single Most Valuable Course for Tech Writing

Subject: Re: Re: Single Most Valuable Course for Tech Writing
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:11:07 -0400

> So I'll ask the group: What single course proved to be most useful in your
> technical writing work?

Voice.

It was 1983. I had just landed a job as a software trainer,
despite being an actual "white knuckle case" on stage. My
husband was attending some classes at the local jr. college
and kept pestering me to go too. "It'll be fun," he said.
So I signed up for voice.

The class format included a group warm-up at the beginning. Then, after the break, each student took a turn performing
a solo on stage while the rest of the class critiqued the
performance. I ended up taking that class for three
semesters! <g>

I'm not a white-knuckle case anymore. I worked as a trainer
for almost seven years before I moved to tech writing. Now
I present conference sessions and workshops on occasion, and
when it's my turn to step up to the white board and run the
meeting, I can do so without embarassing myself.

-Sue Gallagher

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com