RE: Re: Single Most Valuable Course for Tech Writing

Subject: RE: Re: Single Most Valuable Course for Tech Writing
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -at- darrenbarefoot -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:55:55 -0700

Though this is quickly drifting off-topic, let me weigh in in (yikes,
bad structure) favour of acting or singing lessons. Public speaking is
the most common fear in our culture. Yet, in the business world and
elsewhere, it's a fairly vital skill in getting ahead. Whether you're a
database geek or a silviculturist, being able to speak in front of
people will only help your career. Not being able to speak in front of
people will probably harm your career.

While I did complete a theatre/writing double-major in school, my
speciality was in directing, not acting. I had to take a couple of
acting courses (and perform in a few plays), which I didn't particularly
enjoy. However, when you've got to be all "to be or not to be" (no, I
wasn't Hamlet, I'm just speaking metaphorically) in front of a couple
hundred strangers, given a technical talk to thirty geeks doesn't seem
so fraught with difficulty.

The best, most helpful course I've ever taken was a theatre course
called "Design for Non-Designers". It explained (mostly through
practical work) the language of design, and improved my ability to
visualize three-dimensional spaces tremendously. It was the rarest of
university courses--it gave me real insight and taught me things that
were applicable to a whole range of subject matter and professions. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Capulet Communications
Words. Words. Words.
http://www.capulet.com

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com