RE: Held hostage by Adobe for $39.00

Subject: RE: Held hostage by Adobe for $39.00
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:17:44 -0400

>Why don't you just "Explore" the installation CD and
>double click the Acrobat Reader installation file?

First, I don't need to install Reader, but Distiller.

The problem with installing Distiller from the CD, which I tried first, is:

I upgraded from v3 to v5, bypassing v4, which was allowed by the v5 license.
However, v5 does not accept an installed v3 as read from the HD, as an
acceptable upgrade path, so each time I need to install v5, I need to spend
an hour (including hold time and gatekeeper explanation) on the phone
getting a special key. To do so from the directory path as you describe, I
need to enter my license number, which is not acceptable to the software,
which means I need to call them on the phone for a key. By doing so from the
web link, all this is eliminated.

They would not give me the web link...they wouldn't even address the
situation without getting 39.00 per incident. Not acceptable.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
212-414-6656
icq: 178047452
aim: jposada1
"When you only have two minutes to do
something that takes three, wait until you have three"