Re: Held hostage by Adobe for $39.00

Subject: Re: Held hostage by Adobe for $39.00
From: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:56:35 -0400

On 06/16/2003 3:57 PM, Peter (pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net) wrote:

>Hopefully, if enough of us make enough noise, that obnoxious practice
>will stop. Unfortunately, right now Adobe has few competitors for
>distiller and they feel they can get away with that nonsense. I am
>somewhat surprised though, that there have been so few complaints. Maybe
>Bruce will chime in here about a Linux app.

Well, I'm not as knowledgable about these things as Bruce, but
Ghostscript will do all of the PDF-creating things you need except for
applying Acrobat's "security" settings to the results. You can take a
PostScript file and distill a PDF from it pretty easily. For those who
are command-line phobic, you can also get GSView which can open the
PostScript file and save it as a PDF (among other formats) by using
GhostScript on the back end.

Ghostscript doesn't integrate into applications as smoothly as Acrobat
does (you won't find a Ghostscript button in Word, and FrameMaker can't
call GhostScript directly to save as PDF), but you can still distill the
output from those apps (with hot links, as long as the app writes them to
the Postscript file).

To see more, visit <http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/>.

Hope this helps,
Mike

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com