RE: Held hostage by Adobe for $39.00

Subject: RE: Held hostage by Adobe for $39.00
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:25:00 -0400

>>Hopefully, if enough of us make enough noise, that obnoxious practice
>>will stop. Unfortunately, right now Adobe has few competitors for
>>distiller and they feel they can get away with that nonsense. I am
>>somewhat surprised though, that there have been so few complaints. Maybe
>>Bruce will chime in here about a Linux app.

>Well, I'm not as knowledgeable about these things as Bruce, but
>Ghostscript will do all of the PDF-creating things you need except for
>applying Acrobat's "security" settings to the results. You can take a

except, as long as, if,...

I paid my own money for FM at v5, paid for upgrade to v5.5.6., and paid for
v7. I paid my own money for Acrobat v3, and for v5, and was considering
doing so for Acrobat 6. I'm not a company with unlimited funds, but I also
believe in paying for what I use...both commercial and shareware.

I'm not asking for hand holding, I'm not asking for one-off support. I
simply want to know how to get to the applications I paid for off of the CDs
that I have in my hand, without jumping through hoops that without knowing
me, is telling me to prove I'm not a thief. Unreasonable?

...and I'm supposed to attempt to convince my company that should we go to a
tech pubs department, to spend more money for more of this attitude?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
212-414-6656
icq: 178047452
aim: jposada1
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream
of things that never were, and ask why not?"
-----Robert Francis Kennedy, 1968 presidential campaign

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com