Re: Portfolios

Subject: Re: Portfolios
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:59:11 -0700

Suzanne Chiles wrote:

I would greatly appreciate feedback from the list regarding the best size
for a portfolio and how large samples should be.
Personally, I don't believe a portfolio can be too large - unless, of course, you're applying for a junior position and don't want to look too experience.

My complete portfolio is about half a CD of PDFs. However, I don't very often use all of it. I've divided the contents into about a dozen categories, with HTML title pages. Given half an hour, I can easily produce a customized CD suited for any job that I'm applying for. However, if you go the same route, let me suggest that you make sure that the HTML code is tidy; the tidier it is, the faster you can customize a page.

I use a variety of samples, ranging from single pages to complete manual chapters. The exact size depends on what I plan to illustrate with each sample. If I'm giving a sample to show design skills, a single page will do; if I want to illustrate my ability to handle complex technical material, then forty or fifty pages help to bolster my claim.

In other words, my advice is: figure out how you're going to use your portfolio, and you'll have an idea how large it and its components should be.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Dipping into dustbins, scrambling for a smear,
Sniffing out a scandal: could the fellow be a queer?
Do not be disheartened by what you cannot find,
Embroider or invent if you're inclined."
- Leon Rosselson, "Song of the Free Press"

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com