Re: Career paths for technical writers

Subject: Re: Career paths for technical writers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:04:30 -0700

Karen Casemier wrote:

I'd like to hear about the different types of work list members do beyond
the traditional manuals/help files/etc,

Looking back, I've made a natural progression, from tech-writing to managing tech-writers, then branching out into design, marketing and business communications, then into product management and corporate strategy and business development. One of the reasons that I've been able to move into management (at least now and then; not right now,but ask me again in a few months) is that, as a technical writer, I'm one of the few people who can translate between the developers and the non-developlers. Intermediaries are usually rare in companies, so someone who can work with both sides and get them to work together can do quite well.

One place I haven't really been is into QA, but that's another place a tech-writer could probably find a niche. It all depends, really, on where your interests lie. IN many places, tech-writers are jacks of all trades, so they can often go in all sorts of directions.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Dipping into dustbins, scrambling for a smear,
Sniffing out a scandal: could the fellow be a queer?
Do not be disheartened by what you cannot find,
Embroider or invent if you're inclined."
- Leon Rosselson, "Song of the Free Press"

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com