RE: How long should an onscreen message last?

Subject: RE: How long should an onscreen message last?
From: "GeneK" <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 24 Jun 2003 11:23:33 PDT

I think a visit to your local ATM machine with a stopwatch
is in order. I've never timed my local ATM, but I'm
guessing that your 5 secs is about right. But is the
onscreen message the only return, or is there an audio
cue? I think most people by now are accustomed to the
little chirps that accompany ATM key strokes, the fast
beeps that announce the machine is awaiting input, and the
nasty little buzz that accompanies the "bad input" message
(which, btw, usually says something more along the lines
of "invalid input, try again," "ACCESS DENIED" being more
appropriate for the self-destruct console of the Starship
Enterprise).

Gene Kim-Eng