plain vanilla tech writers

Subject: plain vanilla tech writers
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:45:53 -0700 (PDT)

I don't understand how you can be a "plain vanilla"
technical writer and NOT be a recent college grad.
Degree in the field or not, as a technical writer you
should be a SME with regard to your company's products
and market industry. Otherwise, how are you writing
adequate documentation? Heck, in the past week alone
I've found 5 bugs missed by QA, and have actively
participated in discussions that will define the
direction of one of my employer's products...

We (technical writers) need to become more intimate
with our chosen industries, not only to become more
marketable or to be able to demand a higher salary,
but simply because it's our job to communicate
information effectively to our target audiences.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com