Re: frustrated

Subject: Re: frustrated
From: "Diane Boos" <dboos -at- drizzle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:57:05 -0700

Aren't "why are tech writers need" discussions with some co-workers fun?

First, your co-worker made a serious false assumption. "My co-worker
expressed that most R&D
scientists can write good procedures themselves, because they had to have
been able to write a good thesis for their masters or what have you."

NOT SO! Not every Master's program requires a thesis. Some allow internships
or master's projects instead.

As I was doing my Master's in Computer Science, I had a class in
Internet/Intranet Design and Implementation. The class required several
research papers. Because of some loud complaints, the teacher asked how many
had never done a prior research paper. I was absolutely floored when 5
people raised their hands. When the teacher asked how they had gotten their
BA/BS without doing any papers, the students replied, "Very carefully." They
carefully chose technical courses that didn't have papers. While that course
did require several papers, the university where I got my degree did allow
master's projects instead of the theisis.

Obviously it is possible to get a degree without writing papers.

Another false assumption that your co-worker made is that the R&D procedures
are meaningful to the end user. The tech writers maxim is "remember the
target audience." R&D do the procedures from their viewpoint, not
necessarily what the end user needs.
Diane

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com