Re: Has anyone reviewed or edited using PDF marked up by Acrobat tools?

Subject: Re: Has anyone reviewed or edited using PDF marked up by Acrobat tools?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:43:33 -0400

Jean,

When I do this I use the sticky note tool almost exclusively, rather than the various highlighting and freehand tools. I can place the icon for the note adjacent to the item I'm commenting on, and then I can move the open note window so that it does not interfere with seeing the item.

I find that, as you have discovered, the comments can get a bit wordy because of the need to repeat passages for context, but they are also a lot more legible than if I scribble on hardcopy.

The other nice feature is that with multiple reviewers you can assign each reviewer a note color (for the note icon and frame, not for the text) and further identify the note window by the name of the reviewer.

We recently received a PDF of a PowerPoint presentation that someone in another company prepared for joint use. This was a consultant who writes like one, so we (another reviewer and I) had LOTS of comments. He took the reviewed PDF and the original PPT and forwarded them to his firm's graphics department. They implemented the requested changes in the PPT (and actually did a fair job of it, only missing a few). Overall, I'd say it was a fairly smooth process, given that PowerPoint doesn't let you track changes and the comment tool is a joke.

For minor edits, as you say, PDF notes are cumbersome. I'd rather see a workflow where that kind of edit is handled in the original document by a trusted copyeditor, either prior to the review circulation or as a final pass before publication, rather than something the author has to receive as written comments and choose to implement one by one.

Dick

Jean Hollis Weber wrote:

Has anyone reviewed or edited documents using PDF marked up in Adobe Acrobat, as an electronic equivalent of marking printouts by hand?

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com