Re: Websites with a single URL (was pinpointing a web page)

Subject: Re: Websites with a single URL (was pinpointing a web page)
From: "Subash" <subash_tc -at- speedpost -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:01:50 -0800

Eisbruchs -at- aol -dot- com said:

> On some websites, the URL doesn't
> seem to change from page to page.
> If I want to direct someone to
> a specific page on this website, do I need to
> tell them which options to click to get to
> the desired page?

You cannot do anything about it as you cannot view or copy the URL
associated with a page. Another problem with this type of design is
navigation. If you click Back or Forward, the same page will be displayed
again. If you want to go back to the homepage again, you have to click
Refresh!

I have seen this on www.dreamworks.com (Dreamworks SKG is a studio that
created animation movies like Shrek, Sindbad, etc.). I wanted to copy the
link to one of their articles, but all the pages have the same URL. This
method will work for small websites like Dreamworks because it is not
very large and there are limited number of links on the homepage. But if
the site is large, you have to expect the users to spend a lot of time
searching and clicking to access the required information.

~Subash

--
Subash Babu
subash_tc -at- speedpost -dot- net

or over the web

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com