Re: ADMIN: Civility and content

Subject: Re: ADMIN: Civility and content
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:35:14 -0400

I agree with all that Lauren said. So why do we need a moderator to keep us in line? For the same reason that we needed a parent to help us measure out the ginger ale on those rare occasions that we ever got any: to keep us thinking about the other list members as well as ourselves. Ideally, one sibling pours, another sibling chooses. The parent, however, doesn't have the time or the energy to monitor the gentle rivalry that can result, and can only intervene when the blood and teeth start to fly.

The solution? Stomp on anything that can potentially require a trip to the emergency room, when it comes to your attention. Pour all the servings yourself.

Do we need a link to Miss Manners' column on the site? Or one to an Alternate Dispute Resolution seminar?

And how do we resolve the contentious "you said <and I quote> so I argue that" threads? It may be time to devise a system that lets us gauge the intensity of our _feelings_ about a subject before we're allowed to post, because that what it seems to come down to more often than not.

Ya know what? I say it's spinach, and I say to hell with it.

Is fearr socrú dá dhonacht ná dlí dá fheabhas.
It's better to solve the problem than to improve the law.

From: jnl -at- starband -dot- net
When I joined here I was considering some sort of additional education to
expand my career options, but I was not sure what direction to go. Andrew
Plato in particular, and the debates (and even the mud-slinging) that
often surround his comments, have made a real difference in my decisions,
and has changed my mind or helped me clarify my thinking about a number of
important issues. I am grateful to everyone who participats in these
debates (even the snippy ones <g>) and I am also grateful to you, Eric, for
all of your efforts and for the existence of this list. Whatever you
decide, I sincerely hope you will be find a solution that you can be at
peace with.

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com