Nielsen frags PDF with misinformative Alertbox... AGAIN!

Subject: Nielsen frags PDF with misinformative Alertbox... AGAIN!
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:26:30 -0400

A few folks have already written in to express various combinations of
support for Nielsen about the complete unsuitability of PDF for anything
other than distributing printable files. Poppycock!

The issue isn't whether PDF is inherently suitable for online viewing, but
rather whether those who use the technology take the time to use it well.
It's trivially easy to find examples of PDFs that are entirely unsuitable
for onscreen viewing: illegible type, fuzzy graphics, and designs that
neither match the screen nor take advantage of the onscreen medium. The same
criticism could be leveled with equal justification against a near-majority
of the Web pages, Word files, and other formats I've encountered, not to
mention a distressing number of printed manuals.

Nielsen is someone I continue to read with interest and attention, because
he's an extremely bright guy who regularly makes valuable contributions to
the practice of our art. If he had directed his argument against the
practice of dumping printed documents online in place of creating PDF
designed for onscreen use, I'd agree enthusiastically with him and be the
loudest voice in the cheerleading section. But he doesn't do this, and
thereby throws the baby out with the bathwater.

I'll believe Nielsen's opinion on the unsuitability of PDF when it stands up
to the kind of rigorous analysis necessary for it to appear in a
peer-reviewed journal. I'd love to comment on whether the current study
meets this standard, but I'm not going to spend US$250 for a chance to
critique his methodology. But based on previous Nielsen studies, I'm willing
to bet you that he used print-formatted PDF posted with no consideration
whatsoever for optimal use of the technology or how it would be used; he
even lists "formatted for print, not for onscreen viewing" as one of the
problems with PDF. Isn't that a straw-man argument, every bit as valid as
saying that Web sites have poor interactivity when printed out on paper?

(speaking solely on my own behalf)

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite
of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."--Niels Bohr,
physicist (1885-1962)

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com