Re: This file is protected...

Subject: Re: This file is protected...
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:33:33 -0400

From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:23:29 +0200

>> You cannot print a PDF "to file" if it is protected. The PDF is
>> encrypted and unless you illegally crack it, you just have to accept
>> the restrictions.
>
>This is not necessarily true: There are different things to protect
>about a document, and you can prevent, e.g., modification and printing
>independently. For low-level protection, I usually send out documents
>that cannot be modified but can be printed.

That's true, and I do the same thing. However, if you have the protection set to prevent modification, you cannot redistill the print output, as John says.

This is fairly elementary encryption. Its strongest feature is Adobe's willingness to prosecute legal cases against people who explain how to crack it. So anyone who wants to explain to John how to do that might want to take the advice off-list ;-)

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com