RE: Nielsen and PDFs

Subject: RE: Nielsen and PDFs
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:14:06 -0700

It's undoubtedly another "designer competency" thing, but I've yet to see a website
with a "printer friendly" button that produced a printout fit for anything but a single
page. HTML is great for browsing through a manual online, especially if there are
a lot of illustrations, but for printing I want a format that has "printy things," like page
numbers, chapter headers, TOCs and indices, and for saving a document to my
drive for offline viewing, I want a document in a single file that I can easily download,
move from place to place or send to someone else in email, not a directory full of
individual page and image files. I'm speaking here as a *user,* not as a developer.
HTML and PDF (not to mention all those other document types) are different formats,
each with their own strengths and weaknesses, each designed to fulfill a specific
need, and of all the "bad" things you can do with any of them, the worst is attempting
to force any one of them to fulfill all needs. One of the things we as professionals are
supposed to bring to our projects is the ability to select the right tool for the job, isn't it?

Gene Kim-Eng

At 08:22 AM 7/15/2003 -0700, Sean Hower wrote:

If Nielson's quotes are anything to go by, then perhaps pdf isn't as great as technocrats/technophiles (like myself) think they are and we should stick with html and a "printer friendly" button. :-)

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com