Re: Fw: 47. RE: Okay all you independent contractors: hit the bricks with THI---S

Subject: Re: Fw: 47. RE: Okay all you independent contractors: hit the bricks with THI---S
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:22:21 -0700

Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com wrote:

I am currently on a long-term contract, and although I have every reason to assume I will be extended this fall, you never know what will happen. Do you have any suggestions for how I could position myself for a switch from technical writing to marcom? I've done proposals, presentations, and press releases in previous jobs, but nothing much in those lines recently. Are there any tools that would be good to learn? Any freebies that you would suggest I look into writing during these ensuing months? Any learning resources you find indispensable?

It sounds to me as though you have some marketing material already. You might want to create a marketing section of your portfolio for it.

Tools? PhotoShop, Illustrator and PageMaker are all useful to know, and maybe a high-end layout program like Quark. However, I wouldn't worry about the specific tools so much as the techniques. A bit of page layout, and a knowledge of design are useful to obtain, though. Small companies appreciate someone who can both write and design; it means one less person to hire.

Also, try to create some opportunity for some experience. Most clubs and volunteer organizations sooner or later need a poster or a brochure or something, and will usually welcome anyone who volunteers to se to them.

I'm writing at the end of a long day, so this is brief, but I hope these comments are useful.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"But the price that we would really pay,
I didn't see it then:
March until your feet get sore,
You never dance again."
-OysterBand, "The Fiddle and the Gun"

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com