Re: Resume and Cover Letter Writing for a Novice

Subject: Re: Resume and Cover Letter Writing for a Novice
From: "Subash" <subash_tc -at- speedpost -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 05:44:15 -0800

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 07:10:35 -0600, cor -at- techwritercor -dot- com said:

> I'm just wondering if anyone could get me some suggestions as to what
> technical communication hiring managers want to see in a resume and cover
> letter. Should they be plain? Should any graphical elements be
> included?

The hiring managers want to see the relevant skill sets that the job
requires. So customize your resume for a position giving prominence to
the skills and achievements relevant for that position. It is a good idea
to write your resume and cover letter in 'plain' language. You can use
some simple designs to make it attractive. But don't use graphics
excessively and make your resume long and bulky. As you are a fresher, it
would look good if you limit the number of pages to two or three.

> Should cover letters be persuasive or just present the facts?

Yes. The cover letter should communicate your key skills to become a
technical communicator. You can make it creative and persuasive, but you
should support your claims with facts. If you have some specific skills
or knowledge that the employer wants, mention them in your cover letter.
Edit your cover letter and resume to make them consistent, clear, and
coherent.

> I feel as if I'm being looked over, but I know I have what it takes to be
> a successful technical writer and/or web designer! I just wish the
> people
> looking at my resume and cover letters would see that too.

Design skills will definitely help you in your job hunt. Technical
writers do some amount of design work as part of their work. There are
some companies where technical writers take care of some amount of the
web design and graphics design work. While competing for positions in
such companies, people like you will definitely have an edge over others.

All the best!

--
Subash Babu
subash_tc -at- speedpost -dot- net

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com