RE: Partnumbers

Subject: RE: Partnumbers
From: "Lippincott, Rick" <Rick -dot- Lippincott -at- flir -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:02:33 -0400

Subash:
>The concept of "part number" in my organization means the use a
>unique number to identify a version of a particular document. It is for
>the production, distribution, and access purposes. I would be
interested
>to know whether any of you use a similar concept.

I've worked at several companies (including my current employer) that
use this concept. Each document is assigned a unique number that follows
the same numbering convention as is used for actual (physical) parts
made by the company for the manufacturing process.

But now we have two possible interpretations of the original question,
and let me toss in a third:

When Seema asks:
>What is the significance of part numbers in documentation deliverables?

How do we know Seema isn't asking about the use of manufacturing part
numbers in the text of the documentation? For example "To assemble the
4M00001-101A vehicle, do the following steps..." (Seem did say "part
numbers IN documentation...")

I think we need a little clarification on the meaning of the question
before we can provide a useful answer.

--Rick Lippincott
FLIR Systems
Billerica, MA

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com