RE: Best Practices in Indicating Versions

Subject: RE: Best Practices in Indicating Versions
From: "Lippincott, Rick" <Rick -dot- Lippincott -at- flir -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:12:40 -0400

>Joe
>So, anyone have research on best practices on indicating changed
>documents? In the old old days, documentation departments used to issue
>docs with multidigit version numbers, change bars, and change pages.

And some still do. My last job, the customers would get a complete new
doc set revision on CD, three times a year. This did away with the old
practice of inserting change pages, but the CD still makes use of change
bars for new or changed material. The docs also include in each section
a summary of what has changed in that section.

I haven't been at this job long enough to issue a changed document, so
we don't yet know what we do here. Given our customer expectations,
however, it will likely be change bars.

--Rick Lippincott
FLIR Systems
Billerica, MA

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com