FW: latitude-longitude vs latitude/longitude

Subject: FW: latitude-longitude vs latitude/longitude
From: "Kathleen Jette" <jette -at- pcigeomatics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:24:42 -0400

>Although in theory I could consistently refer to
"latitude and longitude coordinates"
>1) Does *any* style guide or dictionary have an opinion on this?
>
>2) In particular, are there ones that recommend something OTHER than "/"?
>
>3) Is there any other rationale for "latitude-longitude coordinates" (or
some better non-"and" version) to win over "latitude/longitude coordinates"?

===========

A longitude and latitude coordinate system is actually a Geographic
Coordinate System. If you have to distinguish between geographic and
projected coordinate systems, your best bet is to mention that Geographic
equals Lat/Long (for those who can't remember the difference), and then
proceed to use "geographic coordinates". If you don't have to make the
distinction between coordinate systems, you just have to mention Geographic
equals Lat/Long once, and then use "coordinates".

Both PCI Geomatics and ESRI use those terms, however, any text book on
geomatics will give you ample ammunition to solidify your argument.

Kathleen

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com