RE: Touch-screen terms

Subject: RE: Touch-screen terms
From: Katie Kearns <katie -at- vquill -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:52:06 -0700

At 07:27 AM 7/25/2003 -0700, you wrote:

I don't know much in the way of touch screens, but what about using "tap" instead? It's the term used when talking about PDAs where you tap the screen with a stylus. It might be appropriate here. If you don't like that idea, of the ones you presented, touch makes the most sense for the reasons others have pointed out.

Most touch screens are damaged by use of a stylus. I would stay away from tap unless the users are supposed to use a stylus.

I use "Choose" or "select", because on the product I document there is more than one way of doing things -- you can use the touch screen or push a button, for example. So I would have to write "Touch the screen or press the X button" which sounds horrible. Instead I use "choose" and in the user guide there is a section explaining different ways of interacting with the device (pressing a button, touching the screen, etc.)

-Katie

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com