Re: Touch-screen terms

Subject: Re: Touch-screen terms
From: "Deb M." <dm -at- ptrail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:23:10 -0400

Michael West wrote:
> Sean Hower wrote:
> > I don't know much in the way of touch screens, but what about using
> > "tap" instead?
> Mainly because it conjures up images of some beefy guy
> jabbing the poor little screen with a big fat finger repeatedly
> until something happens.
> > It's the term used when talking about PDAs where you tap
> > the screen with a stylus.
> Right -- tapping with a stylus I can relate to. Tapping
> with a stubby fat finger ... that's a worry.

Not to pick nits (but hey, where else can you do this on a Friday except for
techwr-l), but we had the word "tap" long before we had PDA stylii. In
addition to dancing and discussing your favorite brew, tap was used to
describe an action using a finger or fingers, as in tap your fingers (like
on a desk) or tap someone on the shoulder. I say we reclaim the word "tap"
for humans, no matter what the shape or size of their digits.


The Paper Trail
Technical Documentation


sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required!

Mercer University's online MS Program in Technical Communication Management:
Preparing leaders of tomorrow's technical communication organizations today.
See or write George Hayhoe at hayhoe_g -at- mercer -dot- edu -dot-

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as:
archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

RE: Touch-screen terms: From: Michael West

Previous by Author: Re: Help with Docbook
Next by Author: Re: Do you tell them?
Previous by Thread: RE: Touch-screen terms
Next by Thread: RE: Touch-screen terms

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads