RE: Bug tracking application

Subject: RE: Bug tracking application
From: "Mike Hiatt" <mhiatt -at- vocaldata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:09:08 -0500

My company started using a product called Problem Tracker and then started using Remedy for customer problem reports. We finally incorporated internal problems into the Remedy product along with the customer trouble tickets. They follow separate paths and customers cannot see the bug reports.

Anyone with access to the system (which you get by asking for it) can log a bug. The director of software development and his direct reports assign bugs to the correct person. We do have testers (both integration and system) who report bugs against the documents on occassion. As Tech Pubs, we don't put things we find into the system since we know about the problems, but it gives others a chance to report missing, incorrect, needed information. Once the PRT is assigned to tech pubs, I get an automatic notice.

Works pretty well. We don't get punctuation error PRTs, but mainly missing information or incorrect or changed information notices. Occassionally we get the PRT that the new QA load of the software is missing help for new features, when we're still trying to update the documentation to include the new features.

Mike Hiatt
Manager, Tech Pubs
VocalData, Inc.
Dallas, TX (yep, that one)