RE: Online help issue

Subject: RE: Online help issue
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:55:40 -0700 (PDT)

-----------------------------
Wade asks:
Is there a way to make my online help reflect the dynamically =
changing label names?
-----------------------------

What about using HTML and JavaScript to look up the identification codes for each of the objects in the UI, then get the name that is currently assigned to it. If the user can customize the names of a field, you should be able to access those names somehow. I think this would depend on the kind of program you're dealing with though. Hmmmm, if it were web based, it would be a VERY simple matter. If you're talking about dlls, I'm not sure how you'd do it.

Someone else suggested using context sensitive help to describe the function of each field. And that might be the easiest way to go. RoboHelp allows you to create context sensitive help, but even with that, you need to get together with your developers and discuss the names for the hooks they will use to access your help.

Either way, your best route at this point might be to get with your developers and discuss this issue because no matter how you proceed, you will need more information from them.

"And in the morning, I'm makin waffles." ~ Donkey
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com