Subject: Search Archives - Delete/Restore Normal.dot
From: "J. Ressler" <jressler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:07:40 -0600

Office 2k on Win XP.

I want to capture the normal.dot default styles, add my own styles, then save as a different filename, leaving normal.dot intact. I searched my computer for normal.dot, and nothing turned up. Is this normal?

Upon searching the archives for help, I found the following advice.
*

>From*: *Judith McCrea <judith -at- ZETA -dot- ORG -dot- AU <mailto:judith -at- ZETA -dot- ORG -dot- AU>>*
*Date*: *Mon, 5 Jul 1999 09:44:24 +1000*
A safer way to use Jeffery's idea is to set your user-templates directory to
point somewhere else (use Tools->Options->File Locations:User Templates).
When you have done this, close Word, restart Word, create a new blank
document, write something in it (your name perhaps) save and close the
document, close Word (save changes to the Global templete). Voila! Word has
created a brand new Normal.dot in your current user-templates directory.
This normal.dot has all the Microsoft defaults. Now you can use the
Organizer to copy macros etc from your old Normal.dot to the new Normal.dot
Judith<<

Hopefully it is not improper or impolite to quote the submitters name.

Well, I did just this, pointing the templates to a new save directory. Worked like a charm, just as advertised...sort of. When I went to find my previous templates in the old template directory, they weren't there. I searched the whole drive for *.dot and/or "filename.dot" and came up empty. It is not a big deal to recreate my templates, matter of minutes really, but they are gone as far as I can tell.

Am I stupid or does changing the save path actually delete the templates in the previous save directory? If that is true, the logic makes no sense to me.

justin
Who is hoping he is stupid in order to prevent the same from happening to others.

Check out the photo gallery at:

--
www.ccicolorado.org
"Exceptional Dogs for Exceptional People!"

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com