Re: Notifying for Reviews and Routing approvals

Subject: Re: Notifying for Reviews and Routing approvals
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 09:44:24 -0400

New sig, John?

What you're talking about is a routing slip. Documentum has an elaborate and
flexible tool for defining and executing routing slips; but assuming you are not a
Documentum shop, you can use the Chevy Nova version that is a "feature" of Word:
File > Send To > Routing Recipient.

The issue with this is that you have to train people to understand that it is a
mandatory part of your system. Word won't enforce it.

In between Documentum and Word, I'm sure there are workgroup collaboration tools
that offer similar facilities.

Dick

John Posada wrote:

> Hi, guys...my boss asked me for a "serious" proposal yesterday.
>
> Right now, anyone in any department can create a document. That document
> will describe something, and most often, will refer to some interaction with
> another system. There is no procedure of getting an approval from a
> representative of the other system. So, what happens, is that stuff is
> written about other systems and the facts are not verified.
>
> We're looking at some means of sending out a notice to a representative from
> each system, where they need to access the document and either sign off on
> their part, or submit changes/correction/comments/etc.
>
> It would be nice if the system functioned as part of Outlook, in that way,
> all Outlook features could be incorporated and the addresses would be part
> of the Outlook member list.
>
> If not that way, I'm looking at a model such as what we use for bug
> tracking. An entry is made and it is assigned to someone. They get an email,
> click a link, do whatever it is that the item asks, then enter comments and
> either click the resolve button or assign it to the next person. The only
> problem I have with what we use (FogBugz), is that you can only assign one
> person at a time and I see where multiple assignees will be needed since a
> document can refer to multiple other systems.
>
> Anyone using a system that resembles what I'm talking about?

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]