Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:28:33 -0700 (PDT)

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> wrote in message
news:209075 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> No, you are right. If I am excluded from 80% of the existing technical
writing
> and editing jobs right now (which is what I judge the situation to be), I
> cannot be the only one, and the exclusion of people like me from the pool of
> people who can be hired surely is negatively affecting the already high
> unemployment rate.

Security clearance is only required for defense department and national
security related work. While security work is common right now, I think your
80% assessment is inaccurate. Just because you see 8 jobs out of 10 in one week
requiring security clearance, does not mean 80% of the jobs on the common
market require such clearance. I do security work, and I've done numerous
information security jobs and did not need to get security clearance.

The high unemployment rate is due to numerous factors, the least of which is
things like security clearance. The overall economic conditions and the
commoditization of skills is driving unemployment way more than security
requirements.

If you don't have the skills that employers are demanding, then acquire those
skills. You can't expect employers to lower their requirements, just to "fill
slots."

Andrew Plato

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com