RE: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: RE: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: <Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:25:09 -0700

I think cost and time are two of the most significant factors.

If you look at the process involved in granting some of the higher-level clearances (I used to have NATO's amusingly named COSMIC clearance - boy, those were some secrets!), you'll realize that the associated research - including criminal background check, personal interviews, etc. - is the kind of thing that doesn't happen without significant cost and a long lead time.

I can envision a process where people who were willing to bear the cost involved would be vetted ahead of time, saving time for employers (who usually need a writer a week ago), and moving the burden of the cost (currently borne by both employers and the feds, I believe) to the prospective employee. But then again, I can't really see how such a process would keep with the concept of providing clearances only to those who need them (a layer in the operational security model, along with the concept of "Need-to-know").

Anyway, I'm willing to bet that the actual cost is more than any (sane) writer would be willing to pay.

Dan

"Have something to say and say it as clearly
as you can. That is the only secret of style."

--Matthew Arnold