Re: FrameMaker > Help > FrameMaker?

Subject: Re: FrameMaker > Help > FrameMaker?
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:00:31 -0700

"Goober Writer" <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message
news:209186 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> > Gosh, you're so living in the 2-years-ago past.
> > $50/hr? The last contract I
> > got--here in the Bay Area, where pay is tyically
> > higher than in other
> > regions--was $25/hr., and I felt lucky to have it.
>
> Funny. I contract from home, and neither the current
> or the last 4 contract assignments I've had were under
> $40/hr. My clients have been in CA, TX, MA, DC, and
> NYC.

I find that working from home isn't as effective as working on site. So I
look for such in both contract and permanent positions.

> Maybe I'm an exception? From what I've seen, people
> are still willing to pay a decent wage for good work.
> You just have to hold firm and prove to them that
> you're worth it.

No, people are not willing. As another list denizen repeats as a mantra,
you're worth precisely what people are willing to pay.

> I don't take tech writing jobs for under $40/hr, as it
> doesn't cover my business and personal costs. In a
> lull, I look to other areas such as support, and
> supplement that with training offerings.

Six months ago, I didn't either. After applying for many position where my
qualifications were perfect or near-perfect matches for the stated job
requirements, and after a few interviews where I answered all questions well
and got along with everyone I met (as I perceived it), I know that in this
economy, expressing a desire a desire to negotiate a tendered offer wil
lresult in a "Thank you" by the company as they turn to the next very hungry
and very willing mouth.

And I'm both damn good at and volatilely passionate about what I do, as many
of my past managers and co-workers can attest. Companies may say they value
such attributes, but in this economy, this profession is seen as a luxury,
one that they are no longier willing to pay premiums for.

But I'm not changing careers; this is What I Do.

Chuck Martin