Re: Tagging code to generate online docs?

Subject: Re: Tagging code to generate online docs?
From: Peter Harkins <ph-tw -at- malaprop -dot- org>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 02:13:36 -0500

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 10:42:04AM +0200, Kristina Runyeon-Odeberg wrote:
> More specifically: I've heard of a tool called DocGen, but I don't know
> anyone who has used it. Is there anyone out there who has experiences to
> share?

The program you're thinking of is called Doxygen. It's fairly popular in the
Open Source world for generating documentation of code. It works by having
a developer place comments with a few extra formatting commands inside
them. It's handy, and easy to keep up to date.

The documentation produced is not useful to end users, but can be very
useful to other programmers. Even if the programmers don't view your online
help, they'll have the benefit of source code that is commented.

If you'd like to see an example, an online game I help code uses Doxygen to
generate some documentation: http://simud.org/doxygen/

Doxygen can be found online here: http://doxygen.org