RE: Not Sure

Subject: RE: Not Sure
From: <Jeanne -dot- Keuma -at- ch2m -dot- com>
To: <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:31:22 -0600

I apologize if I sounded as if I was insulting anyone who is and prefers
to be called a generalist! I just didn't know anyone who was (until
Diane replied! ;-) ). I've only heard it used for human resources
staff--HR Generalists. I agree it's not necessarily a bad thing and
doesn't imply ignorance. It just seems unspecific a title for people who
strive to communicate with clarity and accuracy... Diane's title,
"TECHNICAL communications generalist," seems more clear and specific
than "communications generalist," which connotes a wide variety of
disciplines/jobs from telephone customer service rep to
telecommunications sales/repair/design to public relations. (Our job
description does indicate technical editing with the ability to
"multi-task"--which seems akin to "generalist.")

Jeanne

From: Dick Margulis

<snip>
I was responding to
Jeanne's generalized derogation of generalists, not to Tamara's concern.

</snip>