Re: Dressing for (Interview) Success

Subject: Re: Dressing for (Interview) Success
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:08:28 -0400

A thoughtful interviewee has researched the company in advance. Web sites and literature often provide a glimpse of the corporate culture that suggests appropriate dress. Likewise, a thoughtful business or pleasure traveller looks at the resources that advise on proper dress for many locations and situations. Recruiters might even suggest appropriate dress for specific meetings.

It doesn't take a Mister Blackwell to figure out who REALLY wants the job.

An anecdote:

Some years ago (maybe 12?), a lady's suit with jacket and a knife-pleated skirt was in fashion. The skirt's pleats were basted together to keep their shape in the packing box and on the store hanger until you got it home, and then you were supposed to take the single long basting thread out to let the pleats swing free. A job candidate arrived in such a suit (I think it was even purple) that still had the basting thread in place. She walked like Mrs. Wiggins. I don't remember ever seeing her again...

Karen Black in Toronto, doesn't need a sweater at work during energy conservation days