Re: Ethics and Semicolons

Subject: Re: Ethics and Semicolons
From: "Ed Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:44:51 -0400

Your comment hit home. I work on the other side, as a system consultant. The
ripple effect from this type of purchasing is quite large. Throughout the US
every medical provider invests in some sort of solution that promises to fix
everything.

There is an absence of instruction or documentation with the system. What is
available is incomplete and out-of-date. Implementation requires on-site
training, and the material presented is less than acceptable in my opinion.

I've recommended several options for such out-of-date systems. Sometimes I
get to install a class machine. I think this is why I can't get the provider
company to return calls. When I put in a solution it is paid for, under
warranty, and so forth. When the provider sends a PC it is not secured,
obviously out-of-date, costs more up front, and there is a charge each month
for "maintenance."

And the client still needs local support, as tech support from 3000 miles
away is slow to arrive, costly, and not satisfactory.

I wouldn't fret too much about it. On the other end people complain about
the product, but do little to change direction.

I also encourage you to do the best that you can. I've labored on that end
too. I think it prepares you for life on the other end!

Ed Wurster

http://www.eWurster.com/blog/
Consulting, Programming and Maintenance
for Computer Systems and Networks
Training, Technical Writing and Web Design