Re: What goes in admin guide vs ops guide vs user's guide...

Subject: Re: What goes in admin guide vs ops guide vs user's guide...
From: "Ed Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:13:44 -0400

Comments inline:

| I'm looking for guidelines other people have developed for how to divide
| content between different documents.

| As an example, one of the products in my group has this standard set of
| docs:
| * Administration Guide

Admin guide would be used by the individual who sets up and maintains the
product.

| * Deployment Guide: Hardware
| * Deployment Guide: Software

For some products it would be necessary to break out the above information
into separate books, primarily because of intricacy. If the product is
simple, roll this information into the Admin guide. MAke separate chapters.

| * Feature Description

Some feature description should be included in the Admin and User guides. I
look at this as sales information. Better suited for a brochure.

| * Operations Guide

This is what the user needs to know. Operator = User. Operations can be
covered in the Admin guide.

| * Reference Guide

The reference guide defines all the menus and commands. If you are cramming
this into the admin and user guides, then it is a good idea to break it out.

Ed Wurster