Re: Replace text with a variable in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Replace text with a variable in FrameMaker
From: "Rick Henkel" <frameuser -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 06:52:23 -0500

=============
Kindly let me know how to replace text with a variable throughout the
document automatically in FrameMaker. Currently, I am searching for the word
"India" and replacing it with the variable.

Example: "India" to be replaced with the variable "Country."
=============

One option is the EZVars plug-in, available at electropubs.com. This works
pretty well, but I think they charge for the plug-in now.

You could also use Find/Change. You'd insert the variable and copy it. Then,
in the Find/Change dialog box, type the text that you want to find in the
Find field. Select By Pasting in the Change list, and then move the cursor
to the Change field, where you press CTRL+V to paste the variable that you
copied.

One drawback to the second option is the variable will always be pasted in
the same character formatting as where you copied it. For example, if you
copied a variable in a Body paragraph, it will appear that way no matter
where you paste it, even in a Heading paragraph.

Rick