Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem

Subject: Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "Dawson McKnight" <dawsonmcknight123 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:36:43 -0400

"Dawson McKnight" <dawsonmcknight123 -at- yahoo -dot- com> reported a problem with
"screenshots are pixilated and "fuzzy"-looking to the point of being
worthless. . . The design firm requested that we send all of our
screenshots to them as TIFs (CMYK, 24-bit, and "uncompressed"). The
resolution of the screenshots is 92 DPI. The firm had to reduce the size of
the screenshots to about 60% of their original size" to fit them into the
document....in Quark.
Dawson:

In my experience with offset-printing of graphics, the printer has requested
that the material be printed to film (or to a file that he can print to
film) at 300 or 600 dpi. Offset generally has better resolution than
desktop inkjet or laser printers. 92 dpi is awfully low resolution. YMMV
Margaret Cekis